Work and Unity Frustrations (and fixes!)

Yesterday I hit a snag in my Unity courses that was incredibly frustrating. A bug was preventing the Unity Text Area in the UI from expanding correctly when you type more than one line into it. It made working with more than a single line of text in the UI almost impossible to manage. While this bug didn't directly impede me from continuing, it was still incredibly irritating because I had no idea why it was happening nor how to fix it. I kept thinking "maybe I'm just doing something wrong" because I couldn't find any resources about it on the course I'm taking or in any unity community posts.


Then, as a last effort, I installed a slightly older version of the Unity client, and lo-and-behold it's fixed. So apparently it's a bug in that newest version (I'm running the newest version because I'm just doing fun little projects for these courses, so I care more about playing with new functionality than I do about stability). Sucks that I lost a couple of hours to this bug, however at the same time, I know more about how to search the unity forums and online resources, and I got to dive a little more into the back-end (which is ALWAYS beneficial with any software that you work with). Sometimes, you just learn more when things break than when everything goes correctly.

Today was my birthday, and while I didn't do anything special and just went to work, it was still a beautiful day. I received some very awesome FB messages from friends and even a couple of text messages that made me kind of borderline emotional. I come from a family that is almost criminally under-affectionate. It's not that we dislike each other (far from it), but we just have never made a big deal about birthdays or holidays or anything. We don't go out of our way to say "I love you" or check up on one another all the time. So it came as a delightful and heartwarming surprise that my entire family reached out to me today. It was just little 2-line texts (and one very awesome Facebook post from Lindsey) but for some reason, they just really resonated with me today. Once again reminded that I am surrounded by awesome people.

Now I am warming up to a cup of coffee with Holly in my lap, enjoying the couple of hours I have before bed and getting ready to pick up on that Unity course again. I have to start this lesson over (about 20 min of work, no biggie, and good practice) but then I'll get more into the meat-and-potatoes of the state machine and text adventure project. Can't wait to show more!

Thanks, as always, for reading!

Comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *